Contact Us



Phone Number

Your Message

captcha Enter code:

Office Location

1600 University Ave W., Suite 310
Saint Paul, MN 55104

Telephone: (651) 645-7746

The Attorneys

Steven H. Zupke

Michel Krug

Areas of Practice

  • Car Accidents and Insurance Claims
  • Catastrophic Injuries
  • Child Support
  • Custody & Visitation
  • Divorce & Family Law
  • Insurance Law
  • Motor Vehicle Accidents
  • Other Transportation Accidents
  • Personal Injury
  • Products Liability Law
  • Social Security -- Disability
  • Wills
  • Workers' Compensation Law

Personal Injury Protection Insurance

Motor Vehicle Accident User's Guide

St. Paul Car Accident Lawyers – Personal Injury Protection Insurance

Automobile accidents involving personal injuries are governed by the Minnesota No-Fault Insurance Act. Injury accidents involving cars, trucks, bicycles, pedestrians and buses may all trigger principles from the No-Fault Act. Motorcycle accidents receive unique treatment under the law.

If you have been injured in an accident involving a motor vehicle, contact Krug & Zupke, P.C. promptly so the issues of wage loss, medical bill payment, and fault can all be properly assessed. Having No-Fault automobile insurance is required by Minnesota law for any vehicle driven in the State of Minnesota. Insurers therefore collect millions in premium dollars from Minnesotans. Yet, Insurers will do what they can within the law to defeat or minimize valid claims. Understanding the application of the No-Fault Law and the strategies employed by Insurers and their attorneys are important in the presentation of your claim.

What constitutes an injury covered by No-Fault Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance coverage?

It is a physical injury that occurs due to the maintenance or use of a motor vehicle. Much litigation occurs over this definition.

What is covered by PIP insurance coverage?

The Minnesota No-Fault Insurance Law provides that the insurance covering your vehicle shall cover your basic Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits that include (1) medical bill payment including surgeries, hospitalizations, diagnostic tests, chiropractic and physical therapy care, and home health care nursing services, among many. The minimum amount of medical coverage is $20,000; and (2) lost wages calculated as 85% of your weekly gross wage loss or a maximum of $500 per week. Wage loss may also cover the loss of self-employment income including the hiring of replacement workers. In some circumstances, PIP benefits may cover job relocation services.

What if I don’t own a vehicle? Can I still obtain PIP coverage?

Yes, from the insurance covering the other involved vehicle whether a bus, another car or a truck. Coverage may also be available through an insured vehicle at your place of residence. If no coverage is available, it may be secured through the Minnesota Assigned Claims Plan.

What is covered by the negligent driver’s insurance coverage?

PIP coverage is limited and covers only lost income and medical claims subject to coverage limitations. If your injury claims meet minimum requirements of law, called thresholds, you may claim any or all of the following from the other driver’s insurance:

  • Wage loss not covered by your PIP coverage because it is more than $250 per week or is more than the $20,000 coverage limits you carry for wage loss;
  • Medical bills not covered by your PIP because it is more than the $20,000 coverage limits you carry for medical bill payments;
  • Past pain and suffering:
  • Future pain and suffering:
  • Permanent scarring and disfigurement:
  • Loss of future earning capacity;
  • Future medical expenses;
  • Emotional distress;
  • In limited cases, including serious injuries caused by drunk drivers, you may also be eligible to recover “punitive damages.

Free initial appointment can be made by calling 651-645-7746.

Krug & Zupke, P. C.
1600 University Avenue West
Suite 310
St. Paul, Minnesota 55104

Validated Free Parking is available in the Spruce Tree Centre Ramp connected to Spruce Tree Centre.